Idli Sambar Recipe – Step By Step
Idli sambar recipe simple tiffin sambar recipe to present with idli, dosa, pongal and other south Indian morning meals! Exceptionally simple to make tasty tiffin sambar in a short time! Likewise this idli sambar suits best for smaller than normal idli sambar with ghee, a madras unique delicacy! Idli sambar made with moong dal, veggies and without tamarind, totally café style!
We for the most part have run of the mill south Indian breakfast particularly like idli, dosa, pongal, upma on weekdays and this idli sambar is our preferred side dish. I now and again make this tiffin sambar for supper moreover. Not at all like conventional south Indian sambar this idli sambar is all the more meager and marginally sweet. Likewise this tiffin sambar goes very well with neer dosa.
Also Read : Types of Pizza From Around The World
There are many ways to make idli sambar. This recipe is for café style tiffin sambar that is somewhat flimsy and delightful. This idli sambar can likewise be utilized for making scaled down idli sambar, sambar vada plans. I have likewise included one more inn idli sambar recipe in the blog.
View this post on Instagram
100% Traditional South Indian Nothing fancy Melt in Mouth Idli Sambar and Curry with Parotta. #throwback 2018 Chennai Bus stand waiting for our bus from Chennai to Pondicherry. The Food was Super Cheap and Tasty and for being a foodie can’t wait for anything without having something to eat 😝 . . . . . . . . #foodstagram #foodiesofinstagram #food52 #foodie #foody #foodoptimising #foodlover #foodporn #foods #food #foodstyling #foodblogger #foodiegram #foodphotography #foodblog #foodies #foodpic #foodlovers #foodpics #foodoftheday #desifoodie #explore #travel #letstripdesi #clickeatshare #foodblogger #thewickedfoodie
On the off chance that you know about south Indian cafés you likewise the serious deal about the sambar presented with idli or vada. It is normally called as idli sambar and tastes through and through tasty. It is totally different from the ordinary sambar presented with rice. This sambar likewise has a slight sweet taste. Peruse on to realize the extraordinary fixings utilized for making this sambar.
Also Read : Delicious Easy Pancakes Recipe At Home
Spoons of tiffin samabr poured over quite hot idlis with a drop of ghee is the thing that great morning meals are made of :).
Idli Sambar Recipe Is
Delicious, very flavorful just like south India restaurants
Vegan & gluten free
Easy to make at home
Moderately spiced, kid friendly
Uses fresh spice blend
Goes well with all south Indian breakfasts.
Idli Sambar Recipe
Making Sambar Powder
Take cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, channa dal, asafoetida,dried red chillies for roasting and grinding.
Heat a pan and dry roast all the ingredients in low flame until they slightly change in color and turn aromatic. Allow to cool for sometime. In the meanwhile you can peel the shallots, chop the tomatoes and capsicum.
Once the spices have cooled, take them in dry grinder and make a coarse powder.
Do not make it a very fine powder, it will form lumps and make the sambar pasty.
Making Idli Sambar
First of all pressure cook toor and moong dal until completely cooked and mushy. Add little salt and turmeric powder while cooking. Soak a small marble sized tamarind ball in 3/4 cup water for 15 minutes and extract thin tamarind juice.
Heat a pan and add 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil. Temper with mustard and curry leaves.
Once the mustard splutters add peeled shallots and saute well.
Let the onions get cooked for a bit. Then add tomatoes,chopped capsicum and saute very well. Also add turmeric powder and mix well.
Once the tomatoes have turned mushy, add the tamarind juice and mix well. let it come to a boil.
Now add 2 cups water and mix well.
Let it boil well for 7-8 minutes.
While the sambar is boiling mash the dal very well. Then add the cooked and mashed dal, mix very well. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Also add the roasted powder and mix well.
Cook for few more minutes.
Finally add jaggery powder, mix well,simmer for 4-5 minutes and remove from flame.
Serve tiffin sambar piping hot with idli.
Tips For Making Idli Sambar
- While grinding sambar masala for this tiffin sambar you can add 2 tablespoons grated coconut or kopra.
- Do use this fresh samabr powder as suggested in the recipe as storebought sambar powder will totally change the taste
- Pearl onions yield wonderful aroma to this sambar
- The consistency of this sambar is thinner so do not add more dal or thick tamarind extract.
- Adding a small piece of jaggery balances the taste and lends a sweet note. Do not skip especially if you are not using pumpkin.
To make sambar powder
- Dry roast and make a coarse powder of all the ingredients mentioned under”to roast and grind”
To make idli sambar
- Pressure cook both dals until completely cooked and mushy.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes and extract thin juice.
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Heat a pan and add 2-3 teaspoons oil. Temper with mustard and curry leaves.
- Add shallots and saute well. Also Add tomatoes, capsicum and saute well.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy add tamarind juice and bring to a boil
- Now add 2 cups water and let it boil too.
- Next add cooked dal and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Then add roasted spice powder and mix well. Cook for few more minutes.
- Add jaggery powder and simmer for few more minutes. Serve idli sambar hot with idlis.
- 1/8 cup toor dal/split pigeon peas
- 1/8 cup moong dal/gram dal
- 1/2 green bell pepper cubed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 10-12 shallots peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery powder
- 1 small marble sized tamarind
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
To make idli sambar powder
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 3/4 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
This is The Easy Idli Sambar Recipe..